Vermont Dental Sedation Information

This page is designed specifically for dentists intending to practice sedation in the state of Vermont. Below, you will find:

  • Types of sedation permits the state of Vermont offers
  • The requirements to obtain and maintain those permits
  • A selection of ADMA courses that will fulfill those requirements
  • Your state board’s regulation resources. Click Here to View Vermont’s Anesthesia Rules
    • See page 16 for anxiolysis (minimal) sedation
    • See page 16-17 for conscious sedation
    • See page 19 for CE requirements
  • The ADA Sedation Guidelines. Click Here to View the ADA Guidelines
    • See page 14 for minimal sedation

Dentists: Types of Sedation Permits

Vermont requires training for conscious sedation. The ADMA offers courses that satisfy these requirements.

To administer anxiolysis (minimal) sedation to patients, the American Dental Association Guidelines indicate a minimum of 16 hours of training plus clinically-oriented experiences. The ADMA offers training that exceeds these requirements.

Click here to view qualifying Anxiolysis (Minimal) Sedation Courses.

To obtain a conscious sedation permit for patients 12 years and older, Vermont requires a minimum of 60 hours of didactic and clinical study plus management of parenteral conscious sedation for no fewer than 20 patients. The ADMA offers training that meets these requirements.

Click here to view qualifying Conscious Sedation Courses.

Dentists: CE Requirements to Maintain your Permit

Vermont dentists with sedation permits are required to complete 6 CE credit every 2 years. The ADMA offers CE courses that qualify for 10 CE credits per day of training. Find links to qualifying sedation CE courses below.

Adult Minimal Sedation CE Courses

Pediatric Moderate Sedation CE Courses

Adult Moderate Sedation CE Courses


This page was last updated 12 April 2024. Your state dental board will have the most current regulatory information.