Missouri Dental Sedation Information

This page is designed specifically for dentists intending to practice sedation in the state of Missouri. Below, you will find:

  • Types of sedation permits the state of Missouri offers
  • The requirements to obtain and maintain those permits
  • A selection of ADMA courses that will fulfill those requirements
  • Your state board’s regulation resources. Click Here to View Missouri’s Anesthesia Rules
    • See page 5 for moderate enteral sedation
    • See page 6 for renewal requirements and dental staff training
  • The ADA Sedation Guidelines. Click Here to View the ADA Guidelines
    • See page 14 for minimal sedation

Dentists: Types of Sedation Permits

Missouri requires training for moderate enteral sedation. The ADMA offers courses that satisfy these requirements.

To administer minimal sedation to patients, the ADA Guidelines indicate a minimum of 16 hours of training plus clinically-oriented experiences. The ADMA offers training that exceeds these requirements.

Click here to view qualifying Enteral Sedation Courses.

To obtain a moderate enteral sedation permit, Missouri requires a minimum of 15 hours of other board-approved continuing education pertaining to airway management in sedated patients. The ADMA is pre-approved and offers training that meets these requirements.

Click here to view qualifying Enteral Sedation Courses.

The ADMA does not offer certification training for Missouri dentists in moderate parenteral sedation at this time.

Dentists: CE Requirements to Maintain your Permit

Missouri requires all dentists holding a sedation permit must complete 15 hours of continuing education pertaining to airway management in sedated patients every 5 years. This can be completed via a 1-day ADMA CE course.

Enteral Sedation CE Courses

Pediatric Sedation CE Courses

Parenteral (IV) Sedation CE Courses

Assistants & Hygienists: Sedation Training Required

All moderate sedation team members, including the dentist, if s/he does not possess an active moderate sedation permit, must complete a board-approved course in monitoring sedated patients.

Call (855) 406-7671 to speak with an ADMA Course Director about placement in a customized Dental Sedation Assisting course.

RDA/RDH Enteral Sedation Courses

RDA/RDH Pediatric Sedation Courses


This page was last updated 15 March 2024. Your state dental board will have the most current regulatory information.